this blog is all about life

Friday, March 23, 2012

Youth and HIV/AIDS

(sourced from:econintersect.com)

In communication science last week there was a discussion about HIV/AIDS and the lovelife campaign. This topic got me thinking about the youth in my community. They are only concerned about pregnancy and not about contracting the HIV/AIDS virus. The youth uses contraceptives to protect themselves from being pregnant but they forget that those contraceptives only protects them from pregnancy and not from the virus. They don't use condoms and some believe that sleeping with one partner is safe and they won't get the virus.
A girl from my community once said to me, she has one boyfriend and what is the use of being on the contraception pills if she still has to use a condom. I asked her if she and her boyfriend have tested and she replied by saying there's no need because we trust each other. This goes to show that some young people don't think about the HIV/AIDS virus and don't care about knowing their status.

I wish I could help my community by educating the youngsters both girls and boys about the seriousness of the HIV/AIDS virus, but knowing them they would say they are taught enough at school about the virus and there is no need for me to lecture them.


















2 comments:

  1. People are reckless and only thinking about the present, forgeting that there is still a tomorrow that they don't even know what it brings. I remember in Intersexions when the nurse told the lady who went for an HIV test that "It's not about the number of partners you've had, but who our partner(s) have slept with"...I wish young people would learn from all that the people doing such drama's are trying to teach us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also wish the same thing because they sometimes don't use their logic in a correct manner. I want to have super powers and change their thinking and habits, without them knowing that I have changed them.

      Delete